School of Information Sciences Director and Professor Diane Kelly has been elected to the inaugural iSchool Board of Directors.
The iSchool organization is dedicated to advancing the information field in the 21st century and serves a large international membership of information science schools, colleges, and departments.
The iSchool Board of Directors is comprised of members of the executive committee and several elected representatives from three regions of the world: Asia-Pacific, Europe and North America. The iSchool organization was founded in 2005 and has expanded to include more than 80 institutions worldwide.
“Diane Kelly is an outstanding scholar, teacher, and administrator,” said CCI Dean Mike Wirth. “Her innovative leadership and vision for the future of information sciences make her an excellent choice for the iSchool Board of Directors.”
Kelly was appointed as SIS director in 2016. She came to UT from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she was a professor in the School of Information and Library Science. Her research and teaching interests focus on interactive information search and retrieval, information search behavior, and research methods. Kelly is the current Chair of the Association for Computing Machinery’s Special Interest Group in Information Retrieval (SIGIR).
iSchools focus on maximizing the power of an interdisciplinary approach to human interaction with information and technology. They promote the information field, provide effective responses to strategic research and academic opportunity, support and solutions for shared challenges, and inform public policy on important topics such as dissemination, use, and preservation of information.
Members of the inaugural iSchool board of directors are:
- Sam Oh (Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea) - Chair
- Gobinda Choudhury (Northumbria University, United Kingdom) - Chair elect
- Ron Larsen (University of Pittsburgh) - Past chair
- Johannes Bauer (Michigan State University) - Treasurer
- Keith Marzullo (University of Maryland - College Park) NA Regional chair
- Ann-Sofie Axelsson (University of Borås, Sweden) - EU Regional chair
- Miguel Nunes (Sun Yat-Sen University, China) - AP Regional chair
- Michael Seadle (Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Germany) - Executive Director
Additional North American members:
- Kristin Eschenfelder (University of Wisconsin- Madison)
- Tom Finholt - (University of Michigan)
- Diane Kelly (University of Tennessee - Knoxville)
- Gary Marchionini (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill)
Additional European member:
- António Lucas Soares (University of Porto, Portugual)
Additional Asia-Pacific member:
- Bin Zhang (Renmin University, China)